1. The University is committed to providing a safe and healthy study and work and leisure environment that fosters and promotes the sensible consumption of alcohol.
2. The University recognises its responsibilities associated with both the selling and provision of alcohol and will exercise its duty of care towards staff, students and others by ensuring that the consumption of alcohol on campus, is managed responsibly and complies with the Licensing Act 2005. POLICY
3. This policy articulates how the University will meet its responsibilities towards students with respect to the use of alcohol. More detailed procedures that support this policy are set out in the companion Procedures Document. The Staff Drugs and Alcohol Policy sets out the Policy with respect to staff.
4. The University is committed to developing a social culture that promotes the sensible use of alcohol and offers suitable alternatives to those who prefer alcoholfree activities. In line with its Strategic Plan, the University will provide and maintain social and relaxing designated alcohol-free spaces.
5. The University does not condone the misuse or abuse of alcohol and is committed to reducing the risks associated with alcohol use within its community. Whenever it is appropriate the University will take disciplinary action in response to unacceptable behaviour associated with the misuse or abuse of alcohol.
6. Where a student has engaged in aggressive, abusive or other anti-social behaviour in part as a result of the use of alcohol, this will in no way excuse the behaviour or mitigate the penalties imposed in so far as the application of the University’s Student Disciplinary Regulations is concerned.
7. The University will ensure that bars located on the University campus will be managed under licence and conform to legal requirements.
8. The University recognises the importance of education and communication in raising awareness among staff and students about the responsible and appropriate use of alcohol, both on and off campus.
9. This policy applies across all University campuses and to RSU organised activities both on and off campus. The Roehampton Students’ Union is responsible for adhering to this Policy when managing its events.
10. This policy complements other University policies, including the Staff Drugs and Alcohol Policy and the RSU Events Policy. 5
11. The Director of Student Services will report annually to the Student Experience Committee the application of this policy.